Published Oct 12, 2018It's been three years since rumours first circulated that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was considering a Big Trouble in Little China reboot, and while the actor has saved the world in myriad ways since then, the project hasn't yet surfaced. Much to John Carpenter's dismay, however, it's still happening.
Speaking to Cinema Blend, Carpenter said the new movie will have basically nothing to do with his original cult classic. "They want a movie with Dwayne Johnson. That's what they want," he said. "So they just picked that title. They don't give a shit about me and my movie. That movie wasn't a success."
While we can't know exactly what the filmmakers are thinking, Carpenter is at least half right. In August, producer Hiram Garcia told Collider that the new film would not be a remake but rather a continuation (sort of like the Rock's inexplicably successful Jumanji movie).
"You can't remake a classic like that, so what we're planning to do is we're going to continue the story," Garcia said. "We're going to continue the universe of Big Trouble in Little China. Everything that happened in the original exists and is standalone and I think there's only one person that could ever play Jack Burton, so Dwayne would never try and play that character. So we are just having a lot of fun."