Garth Hudson Ropes in Neil Young, the Sadies, Blue Rodeo and More for All-Canadian Tribute to the Band
Titled Garth Hudson Presents a Canadian Celebration of the Band, the disc brings together 18 of the Band's greatest hits as interpreted by a host of Canuck-only talent. A press release explains that considering former drummer Helm's American citizenship, this is the first-ever Band collection to feature an all-Canadian cast of musicians. Guests include Neil Young, Blue Rodeo, Hawksley Workman, the Sadies and Bruce Cockburn, among others.
Hudson curated the set, picking both the performers and which songs to tackle, from cuts written when the Band worked with Bob Dylan all the way up to their latter-day albums. Despite the different set of contributors, Hudson believes these reworkings feel just as natural as the originals.
"It was very organic how the artists and songs matched up so perfectly," he said in a statement. "I had aural visions of how each song could be enhanced by the talent of each artist... each voice, instrument, and spirit."
Despite plucking the tracklist from all over the Band's illustrious career, Hudson, who performs keyboards on each cut, explains that there is a synergy between each song that makes the collection magical. It's this connection that has Hudson so excited to showcase his favourite tunes.
"These songs were among the most enjoyable to me while the Band was together because of the words, or the story, or humour... an example of all three is the reading of 'Clothes Line Saga,' written by Bob Dylan and sung by Margo Timmins with Cowboy Junkies," he says. "Each of these songs stands on its own, yet they mystically sequence together as a string of jewels."
Garth Hudson Presents a Canadian Celebration of the Band will be released November 16 by Sony Music.
Garth Hudson Presents a Canadian Celebration of the Band:
1. Danny Brooks & The Rockin' Revelators- "Forbidden Fruit"
2. Mary Margret O'Hara & the Sadies - "Out Of The Blue"
3. Peter Katz & The Curious- "Acadian Driftwood"
4. Neil Young and The Sadies- "This Wheel's On Fire"
5. Suzie McNeil - "Ain't Got No Home"
6. Cowboy Junkies - "Clothes Line Saga"
7. Kevin Hearn & Thin Buckle - "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"
8. Bruce Cockburn & Blue Rodeo - "Sleeping"
9. The Road Hammers - "Yazoo Street Scandal"
10. Raine Maida - "The Moon Struck One"
11. The Sadies - "The Shape I'm In"
12. Chantal Kreviazuk - "Tears Of Rage"
13. Hawskley Workman - "I Loved You Too Much"
14. Great Big Sea - "Knockin' Lost John"
15. Blue Rodeo - "King Harvest"
16. The Trews - "Move To Japan"
17. Garth Hudson - "Genetic Method (Anew)"
18. Ian Thornley & Bruce Cockburn - "Chest Fever"
NewsFeb 27, 2015
Madonna 'Rebel Heart' Hacker Facing Up to Five Years in Prison
The Israeli man who was arrested last month for allegedly leaking demos from Madonna's Rebel Heart LP has now been formally indicted and cou...
NewsFeb 27, 2015
Super Furry Animals Confirm Their Return, Announce Expanded 'Mwng' Reissue
After a few years of inactivity, Super Furry Animals hinted at a their return this week with some cryptic trailer videos, and now they've co...
NewsFeb 26, 2015
Kanye West Issues Public Apologies to Beck, Bruno Mars
While the world may already have moved on from the outrage of Kanye West nearly interrupting Beck's acceptance speech at the Grammy Awards e...
NewsFeb 26, 2015
Jonny Greenwood Begins Work on Album in India, Sheds Light on New Radiohead LP
Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood has been working on film scores and exploratory neo-classical compositions as of late, and now he's cont...