Bob Dylan Revisits the Polarizing 'Self Portrait' for 'Bootleg Series' Release
Self Portrait consisted on covers and live cuts, and there has been frequent speculation that Dylan intended the album to tank. This new collection features material drawn from the same era, along with outtakes from 1969's Nashville Skyline and 1970's New Morning. There are a couple of songs from a one-day session in 1970 with George Harrison, along with a slew of demos, alternate versions, unreleased cuts, and original versions without overdubs.
All this appears on the standard two-disc edition. The deluxe four-disc edition, meanwhile, comes with Dylan and the Band's full set from the Isle of Wight in 1969, plus a remastered version of the original Self Portrait album. There are also two hardcover books.
See the tracklist below, and scroll past that to see a video trailer.
The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 - Another Self Portrait (1969-1971):
1. Went to See the Gypsy (demo)
2. In Search of Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
3. Pretty Saro (unreleased, Self Portrait)
4. Alberta #3 (alternate version, Self Portrait)
5. Spanish Is the Loving Tongue (unreleased, Self Portrait)
6. Annie's Going to Sing Her Song (unreleased, Self Portrait)
7. Time Passes Slowly #1 (alternate version, New Morning)
8. Only a Hobo (unreleased, Greatest Hits II)
9. Minstrel Boy (unreleased, The Basement Tapes)
10. I Threw It All Away (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
11. Railroad Bill (unreleased, Self Portrait)
12. Thirsty Boots (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. This Evening So Soon (unreleased, Self Portrait)
14. These Hands (unreleased, Self Portrait)
15. Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
16. House Carpenter (unreleased, Self Portrait)
17. All the Tired Horses (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
1. If Not For You (alternate version, New Morning)
2. Wallflower (alternate version, 1971)
3. Wigwam (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
4. Days of '49 (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
5. Working on a Guru (unreleased, New Morning)
6. Country Pie (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
7. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
8. Highway 61 Revisited (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
9. Copper Kettle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
10. Bring Me a Little Water (unreleased, New Morning)
11. Sign on the Window (with orchestral overdubs, New Morning)
12. Tattle O'Day (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. If Dogs Run Free (alternate version, New Morning)
14. New Morning (with horn section overdubs, New Morning)
15. Went to See the Gypsy (alternate version, New Morning)
16. Belle Isle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
17. Time Passes Slowly #2 (alternate version, New Morning)
18. When I Paint My Masterpiece (demo)
Bob Dylan & the Band at Isle of Wight - August 31st, 1969:
1. She Belongs to Me
2. I Threw It All Away
3. Maggie's Farm
4. Wild Mountain Thyme
5. It Ain't Me, Babe
6. To Ramona/Mr. Tambourine Man
7. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
8. Lay Lady Lay
9. Highway 61 Revisited
10. One Too Many Mornings
11. I Pity the Poor Immigrant
12. Like a Rolling Stone
13. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
14. Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
15. Minstrel Boy
16. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
NewsJun 30, 2015
Glen Hansard Reveals 'Didn't He Ramble' LP
Irish folk artist and Once actor Glen Hansard has revealed plans to issue a solo LP for the second time. His sophomore set, Didn't He Ramble...
NewsJun 29, 2015
The Stanfields Announce 'Modem Operandi,' Share New Video
The last time Celt-rocking Halifax crew the Stanfields released an album, it was 2013's acoustic LP For King and Country. Now, they've gone ...
NewsJun 24, 2015
Jerry Garcia Remembered with Interviews Book
With the Grateful Dead celebrating their 50th anniversary (and saying farewell in the process), the revered jam band have enjoyed a recent b...
NewsJun 23, 2015
Paper Beat Scissors Announces Sophomore LP, Premieres New Track
Songwriter Tim Crabtree originally hails from Britain, but he's been making a name for himself in Canada since launching his project Paper B...
NewsJun 22, 2015
The Tallest Man on Earth Expands North American Summer Tour
The Tallest Man on Earth already had a busy tour schedule planned in support of last month's Dark Bird Is Home, but now the Swedish songwrit...
NewsJun 22, 2015
Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" Now Being Used by Another Politician
Last week, Neil Young tore into Donald Trump when the mogul used "Rockin' in the Free World" when announcing his candidacy for presidency. N...
NewsJun 22, 2015
Patsy Cline to Return as Hologram
Though the great Patsy Cline passed away over 50 years ago, country music fans will have the chance to see a hologram version of her perform...
NewsJun 19, 2015
Twin Within Announce 'Horizontal Lines' LP for Hidden Pony
Steve McKay plays drums in rootsy Ontario ensemble Bruce Peninsula, but he's now making headway as a vocalist with his folk duo Twin Within....