Bob Dylan Revisits the Polarizing 'Self Portrait' for 'Bootleg Series' Release
Self Portrait consisted on covers and live cuts, and there has been frequent speculation that Dylan intended the album to tank. This new collection features material drawn from the same era, along with outtakes from 1969's Nashville Skyline and 1970's New Morning. There are a couple of songs from a one-day session in 1970 with George Harrison, along with a slew of demos, alternate versions, unreleased cuts, and original versions without overdubs.
All this appears on the standard two-disc edition. The deluxe four-disc edition, meanwhile, comes with Dylan and the Band's full set from the Isle of Wight in 1969, plus a remastered version of the original Self Portrait album. There are also two hardcover books.
See the tracklist below, and scroll past that to see a video trailer.
The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 - Another Self Portrait (1969-1971):
1. Went to See the Gypsy (demo)
2. In Search of Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
3. Pretty Saro (unreleased, Self Portrait)
4. Alberta #3 (alternate version, Self Portrait)
5. Spanish Is the Loving Tongue (unreleased, Self Portrait)
6. Annie's Going to Sing Her Song (unreleased, Self Portrait)
7. Time Passes Slowly #1 (alternate version, New Morning)
8. Only a Hobo (unreleased, Greatest Hits II)
9. Minstrel Boy (unreleased, The Basement Tapes)
10. I Threw It All Away (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
11. Railroad Bill (unreleased, Self Portrait)
12. Thirsty Boots (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. This Evening So Soon (unreleased, Self Portrait)
14. These Hands (unreleased, Self Portrait)
15. Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
16. House Carpenter (unreleased, Self Portrait)
17. All the Tired Horses (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
1. If Not For You (alternate version, New Morning)
2. Wallflower (alternate version, 1971)
3. Wigwam (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
4. Days of '49 (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
5. Working on a Guru (unreleased, New Morning)
6. Country Pie (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
7. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
8. Highway 61 Revisited (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
9. Copper Kettle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
10. Bring Me a Little Water (unreleased, New Morning)
11. Sign on the Window (with orchestral overdubs, New Morning)
12. Tattle O'Day (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. If Dogs Run Free (alternate version, New Morning)
14. New Morning (with horn section overdubs, New Morning)
15. Went to See the Gypsy (alternate version, New Morning)
16. Belle Isle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
17. Time Passes Slowly #2 (alternate version, New Morning)
18. When I Paint My Masterpiece (demo)
Bob Dylan & the Band at Isle of Wight - August 31st, 1969:
1. She Belongs to Me
2. I Threw It All Away
3. Maggie's Farm
4. Wild Mountain Thyme
5. It Ain't Me, Babe
6. To Ramona/Mr. Tambourine Man
7. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
8. Lay Lady Lay
9. Highway 61 Revisited
10. One Too Many Mornings
11. I Pity the Poor Immigrant
12. Like a Rolling Stone
13. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
14. Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
15. Minstrel Boy
16. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
NewsAug 26, 2015
Astral Swans Announces Canadian House Show Tour
Earlier this year, Astral Swans toured large Canadian theatres as Dan Mangan's opening act. This fall, however, the Calgary folk-noir songwr...
NewsAug 25, 2015
Iron & Wine Criticizes Greenbelt Harvest Picnic's Decision to Bump Act from Lineup
On Sunday (August 23), Dundas, ON's upcoming Greenbelt Harvest Picnic posted a statement saying that, "due to a scheduling conflict," Iron &...
NewsAug 24, 2015
The Paper Kites and Old Man Canyon Book North American Tour
Australia's the Paper Kites and Vancouver's Old Man Canyon may hail from different hemispheres, but they've got a few things in common: they...
NewsAug 19, 2015
Bahamas Adds More Canadian Dates
Bahamas spent most of the summer on the road in support of his latest record Bahamas Is Afie, then announced plans to continue the live show...
NewsAug 18, 2015
Wilco Explain 'Star Wars' Album Title, Artwork, Surprise Release
Last month, alt-country greats Wilco caught us off guard with the unexpected roll-out of their new LP, Star Wars. Adding to the surprise was...
NewsAug 18, 2015
Flight of the Conchords Plotting Movie, Tour
There have been various rumblings in the past year or so that Flight of the Conchords have something new in the works, whether that means se...
NewsAug 17, 2015
Language Arts Head to 'Able Island' on New LP
Earlier this year, Toronto folk-mashers Language Arts performed the puppy tribute track "A Song for Sprout" for an Exclaim! TV session and s...
NewsAug 17, 2015
Supersuckers Unveil 'Holdin' the Bag' Country Album
Coming off recent news that Supersuckers member Eddie Spaghetti has been battling cancer, the band have announced they will be issuing a new...